Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Gaze

I was waiting for John, my friend, as we were going to F1-race today. Just then I met this person. He was so familiar, yet he looked like a stranger. It was clear to me what he was thinking even as he stole his eyes away from me, but he quickly learnt what I was thinking, and forcefully steadied his gaze into my eyes - Like a shield. I believe that one needs to have a clear conscience to genuinely look into someone else’s eyes. I felt happy about myself for being able to do it. He knew it too, that’s why he was not able to look into mine. I pitied him, for he was feeling bad about something he did; or rather, something that he should have done, but did not.

I had no solution for the state that he was in, for he lived in the past, and hoped for the future, while I, lived in the present. His misery was his hope that he could fix things one day, while for me, things are good as they are, as they were, and as they will be. My gaze was hurting him. So I did the least I could do for him – To relieve him of my gaze. He looked relieved, and he looked aside, perhaps over my shoulder. So much was spoken, yet not a word uttered! I sure knew him too much...

Just then I heard someone knocking the door. John stepped in and called out. “Hey, you, we are getting late, and if you’re done with the
mirror, can we start now?”

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That was superbly narrated.